Hungary is a beautiful country in the Balkans in Eastern Europe, steeped with a ton of interesting history, culture, architecture and more.
Budapest is the most popular and frequented travel destination in the country, with its amazing architecture in both Buda and Pest, and each side of the Danube river. But there are also plenty of great places to visit all around the country.
Hungarian travel information
Capital city of Hungary: The capital of Hungary is Beautiful Budapest
Closest neighbors to Hungary: Hungary borders quite a few countries in the Balkans, with Romania sharing the longest border. It also borders, clockwise from Romania to the east: Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, and Ukraine.
Best times to visit Hungary: There is really no bad time to visit Hungary. Even the cold winters of the Balkans make places like Budapest quite pretty. So either visit in summer or winter, depending on what you want to do.
How to get to Hungary: There are unlimited direct or indirect flights to Budapest, and like all Eastern European countries, there are lots of options for train, bus or car travel, from any neighboring country.
Official Language of Hungary: Hungarian
UNESCO World Heritage sites in Hungary
- Early Christian Necropolis of Pécs (Sopianae)
- Fertö / Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape
- Hortobágy National Park – the Puszta
- Budapest, including the Banks of the Danube, the Buda Castle Quarter and Andrássy Avenue
- Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst
- Millenary Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma and its Natural Environment
- Old Village of Hollókő and its Surroundings
- Tokaj Wine Region Historic Cultural Landscape
More travel and scuba resources about Hungary:
Hungary on the blog:
Here are all of our travel and scuba diving articles related to Hungary on the blog. Click the links below! Want to write for us? Hit us up at Justin@artofscubadiving.com